Thursday, March 20, 2014

Lessons from School Bonds and Common Core

"I just wanted you to know that I'm voting for the school bond," I said to the person on the other end of the line. 

"Yes, I know," she said with the utmost of compassion. 

That was it.  She didn't tell me how she was voting nor did she ask any questions. We then chatted a minute about our thoughts. And we moved on.

I've thought about our conversation several times since. 

As our little community faces some big choices in the upcoming weeks, emotions seem to be running high.  There are new buildings, better resources, and higher taxes at stake. In light of all this, our simple little dialogue was refreshing because it took place without judgment or disrespect. 

And why can't they all be this way? 

We're so sure that we're right, and we want our own way so badly, that we're willing to fight among ourselves to prove it.  We gush information we often aren't able to prove.  We stand ready to defend with posts and tweets.  We put on a set of glasses with which we can only see our view. We're a depraved generation longing for our own way on so many levels.  Myself included. 

Another hot topic surrounding our town and regarding our schools is that of Common Core Standards.  Mention those words and let the information overload begin.  I will admit, that until the last week or so, I've stuck my ever-loving head in the ignorance-is-bliss sand.  I've quick-scrolled past the topic on facebook. And I've dismissed it as another 'no child left behind' campaign.

In my twenty-something years of education,  I've used a myriad of different standards, and ultimately teaching is teaching.  And being completely honest, since my kids started attending school this year, my brain is still on hiatus from those topics.  (Please do not send me informational emails...I will not read them. lol)

When a friend texted me a few weeks ago and asked if I was concerned about the Common Core situation, I gave her my most honest answer.... "After ten years of homeschooling, God made it clear that we were to put our kids in school.  I trusted Him then, and I trust Him now."  It seems simple and perhaps not pro-active enough for some, but it's what my heart says is the best way to have peace over this. 

Fast forward a bit, as this very topic seems to have gotten wrongfully intertwined with the school bond.  Personal attacks are being thrown around against our current administration and school board. This issue is a heated one and opinions are more prevalent than throwed rolls.

 Ok, so maybe it's time I learned more...

I have a long-time friend who works within the district, so I plopped myself in her office this week and said, "Ok, tell me all about it."  Without throwing my hat in the ring for either side, I came out two hours later with a wealth of information and fresh perspective that didn't involve a google search or a watchdog site.  It reminded me that you can't always believe what you read on the internet.

And it reminded me that we are all sinners living in a fallen world with other sinners. 

We fuss and bicker and scrape and bite when we feel that our freedoms might be at stake.  Yes, we should take stands on what we believe, but our methods are often messy and uptight.  (Myself included.) Those of us who claim to be followers of Jesus Christ, those of us who claim that He is sovereign and in control, those of us who believe that He works all things for the good for those that believe......we are commanded to love those around us, we are called to put the interests of others before our own, and we are encouraged to be quick to listen and slow to speak.

This doesn't make us doormats and it doesn't muzzle our opinions.  It simply sets us apart for God's glory.  He doesn't need us making more controversy; He needs us making more disciples.  He doesn't need us to be divisive; He longs that we live in a spirit of unity even if we find ourselves with different opinions. You and I don't have to agree on the school bond, or the standards, or the weather, or the Cardinals, or eschatology, for that matter. But we are called to love one another.

In addition, we are admonished not to live in the fear of the unknown.  God is still in charge.  He still has a plan.  Nothing has ever changed that He didn't allow.  If the Common Core standards are implemented and they are the evil that many say they are, He is still in charge.  If the school bond passes and our taxes go up, then God will provide.  If the bond fails and our schools don't get improvements, so be it.  God is still in charge. 

This blog has never been and never will be about politics.  I'm certainly not smart enough for that topic.  But like many of my posts before this one, it's about trust....and love...and teaching our children the Truth. 

The conversation I previously mentioned took place between my mom and me.  She was never an official teacher of mine growing up but she taught me to love Jesus and love on His people.  She doesn't know what a 'standard' is and probably can't define a new earth verses an old one, but she loves....not perfectly, but with the knowledge that we all need Jesus.  I think that's the best standard we can set for ourselves.  It's certainly the best thing we can teach our children.

For a complete list of standards we should strive for, see Deuteronomy 11, among other passages.  Or I can just send you an email.  Go Cards!


"Where do you think all these appalling wars and quarrels come from? Do you think they just happen? Think again. They come about because you want your own way, and fight for it deep inside yourselves.." James 4:1 (the Message)













No comments:

Post a Comment